- Influencers often share links to their Instagram Stories or below YouTube videos.
- These links are usually affiliate links that allow creators to earn commissions from sales.
- We talked to the creators about how much money they make using affiliate marketing.
- See more stories on Insider’s business page.
These “swipes” and stickers in Instagram Stories or links below a YouTube video aren’t just for viewer convenience – they show how many influencers are making money.
When someone makes a purchase on a website after clicking on a trackable link or using a certain code, the influencer who posted it can earn a commission from this sale, which is called affiliate marketing.
Influencers often use affiliate marketing as a way to generate revenue from sponsored posts or videos other than ad revenue. It’s also a way for emerging “nano” and “micro” influencers (with 1,000 to 100,000 followers) to start making money and working with sponsors as content creators.
How lucrative affiliate marketing is for an influencer depends on several factors, including their following size, engagement, and what industry they’re in. It also depends on the commission rates that brands and platforms charge.
For example, some finance influencers may earn a good portion of their income from affiliate links alone. they can work with
Like Robinhood or Acorns.
Read more about funding practices and how much companies pay influencers through affiliate marketing
Tori Dunlap, a personal finance phenom, told Insider that she made more than $200,000 in eight months.
But finance isn’t the only category that pays well.
Skincare phenom Vi Lai recently said that she earns more than $5,000 each month from her affiliate links, and several other influencers say they’re making several hundred dollars here and there.
From brands like Amazon to affiliate marketing platforms like LTK or MagicLinks, there are several ways influencers earn commissions by promoting products on social media.
Top 9 platforms influencers use to monetize their affiliate links
Some influencers have even started messaging their followers with links to their favorite products as a way to increase sales. And platforms like Instagram are also getting into this space with their own local affiliate marketing programs.
Instagram’s affiliate program allows creators to share shoppable post posts and stories, and to host a “store” on their account where influencers can earn commissions from any sales from their page. Instagram plans to expand its partnership tools to more video content in 2022.
See 32 leaked commission rates for brands in Instagram’s partnership test
In 2021, Instagram also made it easier for influencers to add affiliate links to their stories, after the platform removed the requirement for users to be verified or have at least 10,000 followers to use the feature.
Insider spoke to many influencers and industry experts about affiliate marketing. Here is a summary of what they told us they won.
How much money do influencers make using affiliate marketing?
We spoke to a handful of influencers about how they incorporate affiliate links into their content. Some detailed their monthly earnings. They ranged from about $50 a month to more than $25,000 a month.
Here’s how much money 9 creators make from affiliates:
- Tori Dunlap, a personal finance phenomenon with 1.7 million followers on TikTok
- Ryan Scribner, personal finance YouTuber with 737,000 YouTube subscribers
- Vi Lai, a skincare phenomenon with 849,000 followers on TikTok and 180,000 followers on Instagram
- Charlie Chang is a YouTube creator with 457,000 subscribers who publishes personal finance and real estate content.
- Kara Harms, a full-time blogger with a social media following of over 300,000 followers
- Charli Prangley is a part-time YouTube creator with nearly 200,000 subscribers
- Erika Kullberg, a lawyer and YouTube creator with 200,000 subscribers
- Bethany Everett-Ratcliffe, a fashion and lifestyle micro-influencer with 16,000 Instagram followers
- Kayla Compton, a lifestyle nano influencer with 4,600 YouTube subscribers and 2,700 Instagram followers